Summerfield Waldorf School & Farm is looking for a Development Associate to join our team. The Development Department’s focus is on the short and long-term financial health of the school. They cultivate positive relationships with community members, alumni, parents, grandparents and foundations, as well as inspire and generate enthusiasm for fundraising initiatives and projects.
The Development Associate is responsible for all administrative aspects of development and public relations activities including database entry, management, reports and correspondence. The Development Associate plays an important role by providing administrative support to the Development Office and participating in all fundraising activities including donor and public relations, direct mail appeals, strategizing, and special events.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Process donations from receipt to posting in the database; prepare timely acknowledgement letters and other correspondence related to donations and office relations.
- Maintain a professional tone in person, correspondence, meetings, etc.
- Consult with the Development Coordinator on weekly work-load schedules.
- Support all fundraising events and work with volunteers under the direction of the Development Coordinator.
- Conduct preliminary research on prospective corporate, foundation, individual donors and grants using Foundation Center tools.
- Maintain foundation, corporation and individual donor hard-copy and virtual files.
- Create semimonthly fundraising reports and other database reports as needed.
- Coordinate production and mailing of appeal letters with designers, printers and staff.
- Prepare registration materials and maintain guest lists, meeting notes and agendas for fundraising planning and events.
- Support the identification and submission of funding requests;
- Prepare media materials for distribution. (i.e. copying, filing, mailing, e-mailing)
- Assemble media and donor kits for events and meetings.
- Prepare news releases and press kits; assist in donor cultivation and correspondence
- Handle all administrative details associated with any committee meetings (i.e. prepare and distribute notices, agendas, minutes, etc.).
- Continually organize, update and correct database records, event and campaign binders and files.
- Maintain the office, manage supplies and equipment.
- Manage, edit and update the Summerfield website on a regular basis.
- Update presentation and public relations materials as needed, including brochures and presentations.
- Write/edit grants, documents and emails.
Qualifications: The successful candidate will be a professional, personable and dynamic individual who has an appreciation for Waldorf education. Our ideal applicant has an associate’s or bachelor’s degree in a related field and a minimum of three years’ experience in an administrative position, preferably in a not-for-profit development office. They must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, and have the ability to: write business letters and other documents as assigned; multitask, organize and prioritize work; and work independently with little supervision. They should be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and have database management experience. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to cultivate relationships is a must. Grant writing expertise and marketing experience are highly desired. Confidentiality is required.
Employment details: This is a year-round, full-time position; Monday through Friday, plus Development events, some of which occur on a weekend or school vacation times during the school year. Summer hours are flexible and should be arranged with the Development Coordinator.
Salary and Benefits: Competitive salary commensurate with experience plus excellent benefits, including three weeks annual vacation; all regular school holidays and one paid week off at both Christmas and Easter.
To apply: Please email your letter of intention and resume to Michelle Bovard, Human Resources Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also include at least three professional references (with phone numbers).
Physical Requirements for Employees at SWSF:
Summerfield is both a school and farm. Although we do have paved pathways between various buildings, many pathways are unpaved and rough. Some have steep inclines and declines, steps and holes. Employees must have the ability to:
Employees must have the ability to:
- Stand and walk on various-density and uneven surfaces for extended periods of time and significant lengths;
- Sit for extended periods of time.
- Use a computer for extended periods of time;
- Squat, stoop and/or bend over;
- Reach overhead, grasp, push/pull up to 35 pounds for short distances;
- Lift and carry up to 45 lbs. at waist height for short distances.
655 Willowside Road Santa Rosa, CA 95401 ph (707) 575-7194 www.summerfieldwaldorf.org