General Statement of Role:
The Development Director is Summerfield Waldorf School and Farm’s (SWSF) primary fundraiser. The Development Director will focus on both the short and long-term financial health of the school by cultivating positive relationships with community members, alumni, parents, grandparents and foundations. This position calls for a data-driven, highly entrepreneurial, dynamic individual who possesses progressive development experience in major gifts, fund raising, planned giving, campaign planning and implementation and appreciation for Waldorf education. The Development Director needs to inspire and generate enthusiasm for fundraising initiatives and projects.
The Development Director will demonstrate the ability to carry out a strategic and comprehensive fund-raising program, including maintaining relationships with existing internal and external constituents, identifying and developing new donors, the timely submission of grant proposals and reports and the general oversight of the annual giving, special events, and alumni programs.
The Development Director will work closely with administrative colleagues, the Governance Council and the Board of Directors to establish and support a culture of giving within SWSF and build goodwill on behalf of SWSF beyond the immediate SWSF community.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- In conjunction with the Development Committee: plan, develop stratifies, and set goals to create a comprehensive fund development plan
- Implement and evaluate all key development efforts, including annual giving campaign (AGC) and signature fundraising events
- Serve as chief fundraiser for SWSF, supporting Board solicitation activities, and actively cultivate alumnae involvement and support
- Create and direct overall fundraising calendar; interact with parents and entire community to ensure broad understanding, acceptance and commitment to goals and objectives
- Identify and pursue grant opportunities, including proposal writing (either by self or by volunteers)
- Identify, recruit, train and oversee volunteer assistance and support
- Work with Admissions Office to implement marketing and public relations activities that raise awareness and communicate core values and impact of SWSF
- Stewardship of donors, sponsors and volunteers
- Provide regular, timely and comprehensive reports to the Governance Council, Board of Directors and its committees; work with other administrative staff and appropriate Board committee to compile materials for Annual Report.
- Lead the Development Committee in its efforts to maintain a consistent strategy and to understand its mandate and responsibilities; provide support to the Development Committee in communications with the faculty and staff, including the facilitation of administrative aspects of the committee’s work.
Employment details: This is a year-round, full-time position; Monday through Friday, plus evening and weekend meetings and events as appropriate during the school year. Summer hours are flexible and should be arranged with the supervisor.
Salary and Benefits: Competitive salary commensurate with experience plus excellent benefits, including three weeks annual vacation; all regular school holidays and one paid week off at both Christmas and Easter.
Please email your letter of intention and resume to Michelle Bovard, Human Resources Coordinator at email@example.com. Please also include at least three professional references with phone numbers.
Physical Requirements for Employees at SWSF:
Summerfield is both a school and farm. Though we do have paved pathways between various buildings, many pathways are unpaved and rough. Some have steep inclines and declines, steps and holes.
Employees must have the ability to:
- Stand and walk on various-density and uneven surfaces for extended periods of time and significant lengths;
- Sit for extended periods of time, both in chairs and on the floor;
- Use a computer for extended periods of time;
- Squat, stoop and/or bend over;
- Reach overhead, grasp, push/pull up to 35 pounds for short distances;
- Lift and carry up to 45 lbs. at waist height for short distances.
655 Willowside Road Santa Rosa, CA 95401 ph (707) 575-7194 www.summerfieldwaldorf.org