Facilities Maintenance Worker
Summerfield Waldorf School and Farm is looking for a Facilities Maintenance Worker who will be responsible for the day-to-day maintenance and repair of buildings, grounds, and associated equipment on our beautiful 32 acre campus. The Facilities Maintenance Worker reports to the Facilities Supervisor. Most work is completed outdoors year-round in all weather. Work inside classroom must be completed outside classroom instruction time or with approval of teacher.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Installs, repairs, and maintains machinery, plumbing, physical structure, air conditioning/heating, refrigeration equipment, appliances, electrical wiring and fixtures of school buildings in accordance with blue-prints, manuals, building codes, and safety regulations, using hand tools and carpenter’s, electrician’s and plumber’s tools;
- Inspect condition of and make necessary repairs to classroom desks, chairs and other furniture and fixtures as necessary
- Prioritizes work orders received from staff/faculty and completes requests in a timely manner
- Inspects machinery and mechanical equipment for defects;
- Installs, repairs, and replaces gauges, valves, pressure regulators, and other plumbing equipment, and opens clogged drains, using appropriate tools;
- Repairs or replaces electrical wiring and fixtures;
- Paints walls, floors, railings, woodwork and fixtures, using appropriate materials and tools;
- Maintains a clean and safe work area;
- Observes and promotes safe work practices and procedures at all times, including following local, state, and OSHA regulations;
- Uses and wears safety and/or protective equipment, as appropriate;
- Adheres to proper cleaning methods, storage, and proper care of equipment and supplies;
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, employees, equipment, materials, and facilities;
- Reports all accidents and/or potential hazards to the Facilities Supervisor immediately, or as soon as reasonably possible;
- Manage fire alarm systems and annual fire inspection
- In collaboration with Facilities Supervisor, develop and implement a Comprehensive Maintenance Plan that is both corrective and preventive for the upkeep of all facilities and major facilities systems (HVAC, mechanical, plumbing, electrical and structural) of the school.
- Work with Facilities Supervisor on obtaining outside bids for larger projects;
- Conduct regular inspections of all school facilities and equipment to ensure that high standards of safety are maintained. Recommend to Facilities Supervisor any improvements needed.
- Maintain a clean campus by picking up clothes/items and placing in lost and found and picking up any trash
- Respond to all campus emergencies related to plant, facilities and alarms.
- Responsible for checking campus at end of each day to confirm classroom lights are off, windows are shut and doors are locked.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Facilities Supervisor in accordance with school policies and practices.
- Must be able to follow oral and written directions.
- Effective communicator both orally and in writing.
- Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with supervisor, school faculty and staff, students and the greater school-community.
- Must have excellent leadership and organizational skills.
- Must have excellent integrity and demonstrate good moral character and initiative.
- Must be skilled in the performance of one or more trades.
Education and/or Experience: Education equivalent to graduation from an accredited high school or General Education Certificate (GED). Candidate must possess a valid California’s driver’s license.
Physical Requirements for Employees at SWSF: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Frequent walking, standing, lifting, up to approximately 50 pounds, and occasional lifting of equipment weighing up to approximately 75 pounds may be required. Work is typically performed walking or standing. The environment exposes the employee to potentially hazardous substances. Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for diagnosing and repairing maintenance and mechanical problems; the worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, noise and hazards.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be considered as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Salary and Benefits: Competitive salary commensurate with experience plus excellent benefits, including two weeks annual vacation; medical and dental benefits; and a 401(k) plan.
To apply: Please email your letter of intention and resume to Michelle Bovard, Human Resources Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also include three professional references (with phone numbers).
655 Willowside Road Santa Rosa, CA 95401 ph (707) 575-7194 www.summerfieldwaldorf.org