*** Position Filled ***
Summerfield Waldorf School and Farm is looking for a Controller. The Controller serves as an advisor to the Leadership Team and reports directly to, and works under, the direction of the Governance Council (GC). The Controller provides the GC and the Finance Committee detailed financial forecasts and works in partnership with the GC to implement the school’s strategic plan, school goals and initiatives as outlined by the GC. This individual is the supervisor for the Finance Office and works with the GC and Core Groups in the preparation of financial forecasts and budgets.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Provides reliable and accurate financial information and reporting to the GC; Board of Trustees, its officers, and committees; the Finance Committee; external auditors; donors; federal, state, and local authorities; and others internal and external to the school as directed and necessary.
- Supports the GC in the implementation of the strategic plan and school goals and initiatives as outlined by the GC.
- Oversees development and maintenance of the chart of accounts, establishment of accounting policies, and ensures internal financial control and financial regulatory compliance.
- Assumes administrative responsibility for the school’s endowment and investments and provides appropriate information on invested funds. Implements decisions of the Finance Committee; coordinates with the investment manager and other custodians of the school’s funds to implement effective endowment allocation, performance, and reporting.
- Directs all fiscal activities including all general ledger activities, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, bank deposits, account reconciliations, and financial reports.
- Approves all expenses and payments.
- Maintains budgetary and financial oversight for all auxiliary programs.
- Oversees the business office role in the preparation and distribution of enrollment contracts.
- Works with the GC and Human Resources to prepare and budget for employment contracts and benefit programs.
- Assists in maintaining congruency between the school’s Board-approved Mission Statement, the Long Range and Strategic Financial Plan and all activities of the business department.
- Supports and adheres to school policies in all areas of the school’s operation.
- Supports the Employee and School Handbooks and assists with revisions and updates, when necessary, of the school’s business office policies and procedures.
- Works with the GC, focusing on strategy, vision, and leadership for all aspects of the mission, vision, and ethos of the school.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with banks, auditors, school attorneys, other financial institutions.
- Takes responsibility for the details of cash control and management and reports fraud.
- Prepares annual tuition and fee schedules (approved by Finance Committee and Board).
- Participates in the financial assistance awarding process and the resulting preparation and distribution of financial assistance enrollment contract addenda.
- Serves as the primary staff member for the Finance Committee and prepares reports and models as needed.
- Attends GC meetings and Board meetings as required.
- Maintains a strategic financial plan and overall financial model that will demonstrate the trends and requirements of the school’s development plan and will forecast future year’s cash budgets and positions.
- Reviews and signs all contracts for the school if they fall within the approved budget. Signs all other contracts upon approval of the board and/or GC depending on the scope of the contract.
- Proactively works with staff and the GC on alternative revenue streams and various financial models to ensure the long-term financial health for the school.
- Keeps the GC informed of all the school’s financial affairs and condition.
- Coordinates all aspects of the school’s risk management.
- Supports all budget managers and provides training as needed
- Researches and attends professional development offerings as the budget allows.
- Knowledgeable about Veracross software; uses both financial and tuition assistance management modules and/or other school management software programs.
- Strong Excel skills required.
- Evaluates the Business Office’s strengths and weaknesses and develops goals/plans and systems that will improve department performance and customer service in accordance with the school’s strategic plan.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the GC.
- Employee may be required to work remotely or engage in telework activity as determined in the employer’s sole discretion.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be considered as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Employment details: This is a year-round, full-time position; Monday through Friday, plus evening and weekend meetings and events as appropriate during the school year. Summer hours are flexible and should be arranged with the supervisor.
Salary and Benefits: Competitive salary commensurate with experience plus excellent benefits, including three weeks annual vacation; all regular school holidays and one paid week off for both the winter and spring holidays.
Physical requirements: Must be able to operate a keyboard and mouse, use a telephone head or handset, have visual acuity, be able to focus on highly detailed tasks for long periods of time and be able to sit, walk, stand, bend crouch and stoop for extended periods of time.
To apply: Please email your letter of intention and resume to Michelle Bovard, Human Resources Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also include three professional references (with phone numbers).
655 Willowside Road Santa Rosa, CA 95401 ph (707) 575-7194 www.summerfieldwaldorf.org