Summerfield Waldorf School and Farm welcomes students from all over the world who are interested in attending a Waldorf school in California. Students can choose to study as an exchange student (3-4 months) or as an international student for a longer period of time to complete a high school diploma.

Summerfield is located 60 miles north of San Francisco, in a safe residential area. The surrounding countryside is an inspiring landscape filled with vineyards, farms, great tall redwood forests, the Russian River winding to the ocean, and the progressive and environmentally conscious culture of Sonoma County.

Click here to learn about our application process for short term and long term international students.

Short Term International Students - Exchange and short term visitors

There are two types of short term international students: paying and non-paying students. Non-paying students have an exchange partner who will also attend your school for 3-4 months. Most of our exchanges are with Spanish and German speaking countries, and occasionally with French speaking countries. Students will not pay tuition or housing expenses, but will be responsible for their own airfare, medical expenses, and pocket money. Sometimes a student comes to Summerfield without an exchange partner and stays with a family member or host family. These visitors may stay for a few weeks or several months. These students pay the full tuition as well as any expenses as arrange with the hosting family. Exchange students and visiting students do not have a language requirement, although we recommend English fluency. If you need to receive credit for your classes, you will need to have at least an intermediate level of English (a score of 60 or higher on the TOEFL or similar test).

Exchange students write a letter to Summerfield requesting an exchange partner, have an interview and include recommendations from their school exchange coordinator. Please contact for more information.

If you are interested in coming without an exchange partner, please contact the admissions director -

Long Term International Students

If a student would like to enroll in our school as an international student for one year or more, then that student must go through the Admissions process which also requires a minimum test scores if applying to grades 7 to 12. Summerfield is registered with SEVIS, the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System, to enroll international students using F-1 visas. Summerfield produces an I-20 form once enrollment conditions have been met that allows a student to apply for a visa at a US Embassy abroad. Applicants must allow 6-8 weeks of lead time for this process prior to the beginning of the school schedule and summer intensive studies. Please contact for more information. For a list of Frequently Asked Questions about applying to the High School (grades 9 to 11) click here. For a list of Frequently Asked Questions about applying to the Lower School (grades 1-8) click here.

Homestay Policy

Students must live with a parent, a family relative, or a legally-appointed agent who will be invested in the student’s educational experience and commitment to Summerfield Waldorf School and Farm, as well as ensuring their wellbeing. Some students may be assigned a homestay option through the organization International Student Placements (

Students in grade 8 and below must be accompanied by their parent during their entire time as a student at Summerfield. It is also possible for parents to get a student visa for themselves at one of the local English schools. Please visit ELS Santa Rosa or SSALI at Sonoma State.